GSP Player or Winamp....

A Public Forum for discussions about the GSP Dancers in both AO and TSW.

Moderator: GSP Dancers Moderators

GSP Player or Winamp....

Postby Sneakpastu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Sneakers has finally figured out how to get WINAMP to work and play nice on her computer. :shock: Now which player to use...GSP Player or WINAMP? Tough question because both sound very well in the new sound quality. I guess I'll go with which ever one I happen to click on.

On another note, I tried to get WMP with the plug-in to play GSP. It won't connect. It tries and then says the file can not connect. So I dumped the plug-in, re-read the directions, and reinstalled it. Still same error. Updated my WMP from 10 to 11. Still nothing. WMP will not work. I posted it here in case someone can perhaps tell me why WMP is being such a winney butt.

Am I sad that WMP won't work now? No, WMP is nice to rip music from cds for personal listening and store my music files. For actual listening it was okay, but compared to WINAMP it gets left in the dust. Sorry WMP fans. Prior to the switch I had all ready started using the GSP Player because I was tired of WMP shutting down stream and kicking me from AO. When stream shut down, I got booted out of AO every time. Strange but true. That all stopped when I switched to the GSP Player.

Point of this strand. I can now help folks get turned into either WINAMP or the GSP Player. I don't know how to help the die hard WMP users.

Is any of the dancers using WMP still to tune in? If so how did get the plug-in to work with WMP?
Sneakpastu
GSP Dancer

Postby Ashval » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Did you reboot after installing the WMP plug-in?
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Myz_Lilith » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:51 pm

When people ask, I always recommend Gridstream Player, partly for the low resource usage, partly because you know that if any changes affect the way it handles the Stream, Griddy will be straight on it with a fix... not something that can be guarenteed with Winamp!

Although apart from when the Mac was in the shop, I don't use either, as I find it easier to let the Mac handle the music and let the old and weary PC focus all its attention on AO.
Myz_Lilith
GSP Dancer

Postby Sneakpastu » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:33 am

I've rebooted several times after installing the plug-in. I've also tried uninstalling wmp and the plug-in. Re-installing it all. And still nada. It's not too big of a deal since I finally got WINAMP to work, and I always have the GSP Player to fall back on.
Sneakpastu
GSP Dancer

Postby Ashval » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 am

Then I got nothing. I'm going by what Dithy said, which was that it worked and that usually it was only a matter of somone rebooting after installing the plug-in. I never use WMP.
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Peramary » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:18 am

if you really want to use WMP the .pls stream works
Peramary

Postby Sporkleet » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:52 am

GSP player user here. I like it because it's a no fuss player, it's going to work, and in the off chance =something happens, there is always griddy with the fix before it becomes a problem.
The secret is that there is no spoon... that there is no fork... there is only the spork.
Sporkleet

Postby Gridfan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:43 am

GSP Player or Winamp either one is fine, at least they work without too much fuzz unlike WMP that needs a plugin.

One would think Microsoft could afford to license the same AACPlus codec (CodingTechnologies) that Nullsoft use for Winamp? O.o

I can't say I'm too thrilled about the recently released Winamp GUI (that big v5.5 skin) too much of a media center in my eyes, luckily you can use old skins still though.

(pets GSP Player which is just a tiny vumeter bouncing down in a corner of the monitor, heck you can even hide that one if you want) :P

And yeah, GSP Player should work fine with GridStream's stream considering I use GSP Player myself exclusively when listening to GSP it needs to work :)
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Mythos » Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I got the GridStream Player. Mainly because it goes hand in hand with GridStream Productions. I RP that it is a physical thing my character has that allows him to tune in. 8)
Peace on Earth and Anarchy Online...
Mythos

Return to GSP Dancers