Big Hair Ball 08/08/17 might start late

Tuesdays (7pm - 9pm Eastern) with DJ Dharzee

Moderator: Dharzee

Big Hair Ball 08/08/17 might start late

Postby Dharzee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 am

Hey all. I have a vet appointment for my cat scheduled for 4:30pm Eastern on the 8th. Depending on when I get out of there I might be starting my show late this week. Hopefully not but I thought I'd post a warning in case it does happen.
#BlameDharzee
"I wish I had an angel for one moment of love." - Nightwish, Wish I Had An Angel
Dharzee
Training Wheels Officer

Re: Big Hair Ball 08/08/17 might start late

Postby Gridfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am

Best wishes.
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Dharzee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 am

Thanks. They took Xrays and her heart and lungs seem okay. They were a little concerned about her breathing and body temperature but maybe it was just the car trip and anxiety. They took some blood for tests but it'll be a day or three before I hear back on those. In the meantime she seems 'okay' for a fifteen year old kitty.
#BlameDharzee
"I wish I had an angel for one moment of love." - Nightwish, Wish I Had An Angel
Dharzee
Training Wheels Officer

Postby Gridfan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am

Sorry for totally hijackig this thread but....It's a she?

Call the vet and ask if they checked if it was a vaginal infection.
Our cat (a female too, quite there in the years) had high temps and did not want to walk or eat the days before she had to be put down.
Prior to that though the symptoms was lots of urination over the place (which we assumed was the "regular" female cat thing, she's never been neutered, and she was a indoor cat).
Our guess is that it was mouth bacteria from a dental cavity that was the source as you know cats wash themselves everywhere with their tongue.

Unfortunately animals don't talk, and our cat just preferred to hide away rather than seek us out if she didn't feel well. I think dogs tend to approach if they don't feel to well. I guess it also depends on the mentality of the pet.

If it's not one of the typical things (heart, lungs, liver, etc) then infection can be a nasty thing.

Worst part we never had any idea how much pain she was in (again, pets can't talk), the day she was taken to the vet she was shaking and unable to walk.

The vet when he examined her said they could give her antibiotics and pain medication, but that would only slow it down, she was too old for a operation and infection was too advanced, keeping her drugged up for who knows for how long was out of the question (not just due to lack of money, but also because what kind of life would that be?).
Kinda kicking myself for not going to a vet (or just contacting a vet) sooner as I'm sure it could have been prevented if caught earlier.

Cat's are remarkable in that when they reach adulthood they seem to remain so up until the end of their life, they don't age the same way as humans (or many other animals) do. They don't get "old". Up until a week before our cat started to hide in the closet (a place she liked to lie anyway) she was running and jumping the same as she always was.
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Dharzee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:12 am

My cat is a she. I took her to the vet because it seemed like her appetite was down and she might have lost some weight. She has lost one pound since last November. She does still eat and she is still using her litter box all the time so far as I have noticed. If she does have some kind of infection brewing I imagine they might notice increased antibodies in the blood test.
#BlameDharzee
Dharzee
Training Wheels Officer

Postby Gridfan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:24 am

*crosses fingers*
Let's hope for the best. Cats are awesome.
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Return to Big Hair Ball (AO)