Joel is losing it...

A place to post pictures and share various media links.

Moderator: Station Managers

Joel is losing it...

Postby Ashval » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm

I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Re: Joel is losing it...

Postby Dasch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I heard him utter the words 'free to play'.
Don't know if a joke, or if serious.

Loved the whole 'we're not going to profit from the end of the world' vibe.
Dasch

Postby Joaquin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm

F2P ...no me gusta
Joaquin
Power Poster

Postby Dasch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Sounds like he'll either get down voted by the board, or it'll jus be between 12th and 21st
Dasch

Postby Thiefofsouls » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Grumbles...F2P.

If they do that I hope it is limited to Kingsmouth. Give them a taste, then pull them in. :twisted:
Thief on phone with Dragon HQ: “Yes I’m on my way. Yes I have the Pampers. Tell that creepy kid if one more
butterfly pees on my shoulder as a reminder, violence will ensue.”
Thiefofsouls
Power Poster

Postby Mariposita » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 am

Thiefofsouls wrote:Grumbles...F2P.

If they do that I hope it is limited to Kingsmouth. Give them a taste, then pull them in. :twisted:

That's a good idea.

I just wrote a post/book on Google+ and tagged FunCom and The Secret World in it. If they're going to go F2P I want some kind of acknowledgement of my support of the game early on... ie, people who purchased Lifetime Subs will get an allotment of Funcom points/month, plus some badass title, plus some exclusive pet.... you know. I'm not asking much ;)
Mariposita
Power Poster

Postby Lykeios » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 am

Mariposita wrote:
Thiefofsouls wrote:Grumbles...F2P.

That's a good idea.

I just wrote a post/book on Google+ and tagged FunCom and The Secret World in it. If they're going to go F2P I want some kind of acknowledgement of my support of the game early on... ie, people who purchased Lifetime Subs will get an allotment of Funcom points/month, plus some badass title, plus some exclusive pet.... you know. I'm not asking much ;)

...and some cake
Lykeios
RL = Off

Postby Mariposita » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 am

Lykeios wrote:...and some cake

CHOCOLATE cake. *nods solemnly*
Mariposita
Power Poster

Postby Doc Thunder » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:36 am

Doc Thunder
Forum Raider

Postby Shigy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 am

Love it :)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Dasch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 am

The cake is a lie.

I think if they do run a f2p thing it'll be short term to pull in more subs. If tha'ts the case its a cracking idea!
Dasch

Postby Vallikat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Kailz wrote:The cake is a lie.

I think if they do run a f2p thing it'll be short term to pull in more subs. If tha'ts the case its a cracking idea!

I think that's probably right Kailz. Otherwise they'll only end up with a lot of unhappy lifetimers and that can't possibly end well.
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Postby Doc Thunder » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Just refund the free period as Funcom points to lifers :D

I know there has been talk of TSW eventually going F2P on MMO industry websites, just wondering if this may well be a sideways swipe at that.
Doc Thunder
Forum Raider

Postby Ashval » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I have a feeling they will be going F2P and will try to placate the lifers with Funcom points and such. Personally, I hope I'm wrong...but, the writing has been on the wall. They have to inject life into the player base.

I'll try to keep an open mind about it if this is the result, but it's going to be difficult for me to be that giddy about Funcom points. I already have everything from the item shop that I'd want. Most of it isn't that interesting to me. If they up their game a bit on what's available in the shop (i.e...no more "10 different versions of the same cat" or outfits in colors nobody other than Lykeios might want)...then maybe it'd be more interesting to me. I would hope they understand that paying for a lifetime account should offer one more than just cosmetic benefits, but we'll see.

Then again, it could just be Joel pulling our leg. Aussies are weird like that. ;)
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Doc Thunder » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Ashval wrote:I have a feeling they will be going F2P and will try to placate the lifers with Funcom points and such. Personally, I hope I'm wrong...but, the writing has been on the wall. They have to inject life into the player base.

I'll try to keep an open mind about it if this is the result, but it's going to be difficult for me to be that giddy about Funcom points. I already have everything from the item shop that I'd want. Most of it isn't that interesting to me. If they up their game a bit on what's available in the shop (i.e...no more "10 different versions of the same cat" or outfits in colors nobody other than Lykeios might want)...then maybe it'd be more interesting to me. I would hope they understand that paying for a lifetime account should offer one more than just cosmetic benefits, but we'll see.

Then again, it could just be Joel pulling our leg. Aussies are weird like that. ;)

As a survivor of the STO Launch (yeah I still have the lifer promo T Shirt vac packed somewhere) the similarities are striking. As downright bloody gorgeous this game is unless they can widen their appeal F2P is the only way it can go, and part of me thinks it may well be the thing that saves the game. Or they could just put out a lower specced version of the game to try and grab a few of the "not upgrading my hardware for a game" crowd.

Either way I think I would still keep paying the subs fee, even if I just get a handful of toy tokens a month.
Doc Thunder
Forum Raider

Postby Caliana » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:57 pm

*takes bets that people are being epic trolled*
:crazy:
Caliana - 9 Swords, Rapier Division
Zellira - GSP Dancers, Leader
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Postby Tastyvixen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Caliana wrote:*takes bets that people are being epic trolled*

I also suspect a troll. ;)

If it ever goes F2P I would think it would be more the way AO did and not all content is given to F2Pers. I'd be soso okay with that although I'm really not fond of F2P games. All the asshats come out of the woodwork and troll for months. When I was online during the FTP weekend general chat was full of people saying how bad the game was.
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Postby Dasch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Caliana wrote:*takes bets that people are being epic trolled*

We can but hope :sigh:

There's a bunch of ways they can do F2P right, but it could also go epicly wrong. All we can do is ride the roller coaster and see what happens at the end (and pray we don't see any scary faces)
Dasch

Postby Lia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm

The kind of f2p that FC does makes subscriptions needed to enjoy the game at it's highest potential. Lifetimers are not a source of income in this business model, though I do think they need some sort of a nod as they prepurchased the game and gametime for the equivalent of a year or so.

TSW largest issue is getting people to try the game. So while I hope they limit the hell out of the 'free' accout (no general / trade... Like AoC ), I hope this ploy is worth it.
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Dasch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 pm

If the game goes fully F2P after a year and I still get to access the whole game foc I won't bitch about funcom points.
If it goes fully f2p earlier than that I'd hope for some sort of kick back to lifers to acknowledge the investment. :D

Let's see what Joel's got up his sleeve.
Dasch

Return to Pictures & Media