MirrorMask film

A place to post pictures and share various media links.

Moderator: Station Managers

MirrorMask film

Postby Tastyvixen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

OMG, I so loved this movie and just had to share it with you all. I had never even heard of it, ever before 2 days ago. The only reason I found out about it is that I looked at the wiki for The Labyrinth which was one of my favs when I was a child. Its in a way a remake of Labyrinth but they put a completely different spin on things and it has a much more fleshed out story. They took out the baby element completely and its more focuses on a girl's struggle with growing up and dealing with her mother being in the hospital and hating herself for what she said to her mother just before. In an amazingly creative way that stretches the imagination it reflects a lot that I can empathize with from my own teen years. The creativity of this movie is simply amazing and honestly, if I hadn't read that it was a remake of Labyrinth I would never have guessed. haha I can see the resemblance to the theme but they completely changed it and made it much better IMO.

Is it a weird movie? Most definitely! And that is one of the things I positively love about it. In an age where movie makers tend to be lazy and rely so heavily on special effects and dull cookie cutter themes this is a breath of fresh air. I'm so very glad I stumbled across this movie. Its a shame that it wasn't a theater release or I would have found it sooner. This one is definitely going on my favorites collection. :) If you are a fan of totally crazy and fantasifull stories like Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland I'm betting you are going to love this movie.
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Re: MirrorMask film

Postby Innari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Awesome, Vix!

I'm gonna check that out!
Innari
Forum Deity

Postby Tastyvixen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Of course, this movie also relies heavily on special effects. :D The world she created through her drawings is completely CG. But good lord were they amazingly creative with it. :) I'd like to think this is what the creators of The Labyrinth would have done if they had the tools we do now. It definitely keeps in the spirit of the original film.
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Postby Caliana » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm

My former roomie got me to watch that movie years ago. I loved it ^.^

Celldweller Tragedy amv of the movie if you want to get a glimpse of it, or have already seen it
:D
Caliana - 9 Swords, Rapier Division
Zellira - GSP Dancers, Leader
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Postby Innari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

It just got a super glowing review from my best friend here. So yea, it's on an immediate "To Watch" list.
Innari
Forum Deity

Postby Tastyvixen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:39 pm

heh, just read the top post in that youtube vid. I can understand why people may think the movie is really emo going off that montage. Its a great montage to fit the song but does make it seem a lot more emo then the movie really is. And god were those cats creepy as hell! haha
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Postby Caliana » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Oh god.. now I'm getting all nostalgic, and wanting to watch things I haven't seen in a long time. Like Mirrormask , 10th Kingdom .. (the intro is so awesome)

(no wonder I like Mirrormask so much. Neil Gaiman <3 I also found a book of mine of Brian Froud's fairies.. he did the puppet designs for Dark Crystal and Labyrinth)

Weren't the "cats" little Sphinxes?
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Postby Tastyvixen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Dark Crystal is on my top 10 list of all time favorites. Its the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I was 4 years old and my parents thought with it involving puppets, it would be a lot less scary then it was. I've watched it so many times since then I'm not sure how much I remember from that night but I do clearly still remember one scene. The scene when the dog like creature jumps out of the tree. We were sitting in the front row of the balcony and I had a big bucket of popcorn in my hands. He jumped out of the tree and I jumped in my seat, raining popcorn on everyone below. :lol:

Weren't the "cats" little Sphinxes?

yes, they were but I don't remember then really using their wings that much.
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Postby Cherri » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Caliana wrote:10th Kingdom .. (the intro is so awesome)

I've never seen that before. If it's worth a watch, I'll try to find it. I like movies like Labyrinth, Mirrormask, Dark Crystal and, if I may throw a more modern fantasy about a girl's journey into the mix, Pan's Labyrinth.
Cherri

Postby Caliana » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Cherri wrote:
Caliana wrote:10th Kingdom .. (the intro is so awesome)

I've never seen that before. If it's worth a watch, I'll try to find it. I like movies like Labyrinth, Mirrormask, Dark Crystal and, if I may throw a more modern fantasy about a girl's journey into the mix, Pan's Labyrinth.

I liked it when I saw it. I'm a nerd for fairytale stuff and I'd like to hope that if I saw it again, I'd like it still (or if I had never seen it, and watched it now). Keep in mind that it IS 12 years old, and I know some people won't like older stuff after they've seen newer stuff ^.^

To quote a review/ wiki about it: " It garnered good reviews but very poor ratings. It won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Main Title Design in 2000."
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Postby Cherri » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Cool, I think I'll keep an eye out for it then. While games don't age well with me (graphics snob! It has to be something amazing, like Monkey Island, to stay playable to me.), I'm not so strict about movies. I actually like certain old-style effects that are seen as cheesy now.
Cherri

Postby Innari » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:36 am

MirrorMask = Epic.

THANK YOU!
Innari
Forum Deity

Postby Caliana » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 am

We shoudl make a movie thread. We can call it the Popcorn Parlor ..

Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Return to Pictures & Media