Mongolian pop

A place to post pictures and share various media links.

Moderator: Station Managers

Mongolian pop

Postby Dasubervixen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 am

A friend just turned me on to Altan Urag.

Awesome!
Dasubervixen

Postby Jezebelle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am

Interesting and different and quite awesome. I like it.

Apparently those strange string instruments they play are something they made themselves, based on traditional Mongolian horse-head fiddles, but electric, topped with the head of H.R. Giger's Alien instead of a horse.

Then I clicked some more and listened to some of their their other tracks. Could someone kindly explain to me exactly where in which hell this voice came from? I imagine Genghis Khan's version of death metal might have sounded just like that. Yay for bizarre!
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Dasubervixen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:15 pm

That's Tuvan throat singing Jez.

I love it.
Dasubervixen

Postby Jezebelle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Oh yeah! I've heard of that! Haven't actually heard much of it, and not recently, but I think I saw some kid doing that on a late night show years ago. I saw some kind of wind instrument in that video. Kinda looked like an oboe, which I thought was odd enough. Apparently the sound I thought was the oboe was more throat singing.

Wow.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Sprkly » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 am

That was fascinating! I watched all the way to the end (which, with most "music videos" on youtube, is a rarity for me). Very interesting. Can't say that I'm in love with that particular song, but the group has peaked my interest for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)
Sprkly
I Am Legend

Return to Pictures & Media