What if you won the lottery?

Friday (5am - 8am Eastern) with DJ Shigy

Moderator: Shigy

What if you won the lottery?

Postby Shigy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:28 am

Lets just say many millions of dollars. What would you do with it?

Personally I'd get myself a nice big piece of land stick a massive house/mansion on it so any mates who wanted to stay could. Make a circuit round the place for testing and racing cars. I'd get a old school Ford GT40, new Ford GT40, Rx-7, Skyline (not honestly sure which one probally a r32) and Golf (and tune the shit out of it). In the house/mansion I'd have a movie area with proper comfy chairs and a big ass pool out the back. And keep enough money to live off the intrest (so I could work if I wanted to but never had to).

So what would you do?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Ceryn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 am

first and foremost, correct a certain geographical error.. after that, not entirely sure...
-=> Status Of Sky :: Falling <=-
Ceryn

Postby cazzy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Lol i would so buy a house and a car then give the rest to charity :)
cazzy
GSP Dancer

Postby Tarryk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

As Socrates once said, the wise man is aware that he don't know shiznit. Er, he said something like that, I think. Anyway, I know all the stories of lottery winners being worse off now than they were before they won, because they just spent the money.

Using that logic as a guiding rule, the very first thing I would do after winning is call Dave (a financial advisor and friend of the family) and say "Hi Dave. Transfer all your clients to someone else, you are mine now."
Tarryk
GSP Creator

Postby Vallikat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:40 pm

I'd start off the same way as Tarryk except my friend is named Maria and actually I would just want her to recommend someone to me. I think it could be tense to have someone who is a friend managing your money.

Surely I would be paying off my house and other debts and buying a new vehicle. What happens from there I'm not really sure. If my million gets here fast enough: huge party at DragonCon!! :)
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Postby Dasubervixen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Travel, travel, travel. See all there is to see in the US, Canada, Europe, Asia and ofc Australia and New Zealand.
Dasubervixen

Postby eadaoin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Top in my mind is paying off restitution, getting into a more stable living situation (I'd be happy with a little place on enough land to host the occasionaly family get-together, but Stiofain may have grander plans) and passing along to my folks however much they're willing to accept.

As far as indulgences go . . . Dragon*Con would be a must. And I'd like to travel a little, nothing fancy really, mostly the next state over to meet my biological family for the first time. Maybe break my half-sister out of boarding school (joking)(kind of). :twisted:

I also have a friend who's been trying to put together a kind of less restrictive, family feel type transitional living/group home for juvenile offenders since forever, it seems. Financial contributors and sponsors keep backing out because they want to control the whole project ("I have the money, I am in charge here. Do as I say or the money goes away.") and my friend wants to nothing to do with that. I'd love to do what I can to get that rolling, no strings attached.

*pokes Stiofain (he has some cool ideas, in my opinion)*
I shall call him 'Squishy,' and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.
eadaoin
Live Long & Poster

Postby Ashval » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:30 pm

1) Retire immediately.

2) Throw the biggest RL GSP party in history on my dime.

3) Get a modest house with "character."

4) Travel.

5) Consider purchasing a radio station in St. Louis to finally give the metalheads in this city some proper music.
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby ivanelme » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 pm

I would buy a moderately sized house, nothing too fancy. Get a Prius for me and my parents. Get my parents a nice house, and like Ash, throw a party inviting everyone out.
ivanelme

Postby Mivat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:51 pm

Me, I'd pay off all my debts firstly. Then I'd use the rest to buy me a pack of bubblegum, as that's probably the only thing I could afford :P

Joking aside, I would clear my debts, share the rest 50/50 with my GF, and then take things from there. To be honest, I haven't got the slightest clue of what I'd get.
Mivat

Postby Jugsmalone » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Hmmm, Money has never ever been important to me, I would pay off any bills I may have, help out a lot of friends pay off there debts...Give my kids most of it and just do what I do when I want to do it.....
Jugsmalone
GSP Dancer

Postby Tastyvixen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:44 pm

I would buy my ex a house in the country away from such a slummy area with a real yard. :P Yeah, he is a bastard, but I hate the thought of my girls living in such a bad area.

Then I would put the rest away to collect interest until its needed I think. I can't really think of anything I need at the moment. I'm pretty happy. :) Maybe get a house with a yard eventually. Besides, at the rate the price for school is hiking up over the years I'll need every cent for for when my girls want to continue their education past highschool.
Tastyvixen
Assistant Administrator

Postby Rehab » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:29 pm

seeing as i have no debts atm :P id most likely invest it and make it more :P. keep buildin it until i own a few businesses and chill somewhere. Oh and eventually buy FC :P and make AO uber :P and get Mr T and Chuck Norris to do adverts for AO with tarryk doin the voice over :P. and maybe just maybe have gsp as an inbuilt item in AO :P oh ye and and and hmmmm runnin dry but im sure ill think of somethin :P
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitchslap that fuck upside the head."
Rehab

Postby rk1rev » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:31 am

Simple, buy a nice house, get some nice hotrods that would make chiamera cream himself then move chiamera down to my house and spens the rest of my days being a lovely gear head
rk1rev
Master Poster

Postby Dasubervixen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:26 am

This just came to me in the middle of the night. I don't why I didn't think of it before.

Buy FUNCOM and own Anarchy Online. Think of the hours of fun you could have being the Goddess (or God) of Rubi-ka and the Shadow Lands. Too funny :lol:
Dasubervixen

Postby Shigy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:41 pm

mmm GM goodness (or goddess as the case may be)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Return to Shigy's Odd End (AO)