GSP Stream Gets a Facelift!

News and announcements from the GSP staff.

Moderator: Station Managers

GSP Stream Gets a Facelift!

Postby Ashval » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello listeners!

We just wanted to give you a heads up that we made a minor change under the hood this morning to upgrade our stream bitrate and switch from AAC+ to MP3 format. What does this mean to you? Probably not much...unless you were tuned in when I made the switch. In that case, your player may have freaked out until you restarted it. ;)

This change will provide a slight improvement in our audio quality while also allowing our new webplayer on player.gridstream.org to play nicer with most web browsers.

Please let us know if you have any issues! This is just round one of some changes on the horizon as we always look for ways to seem cooler than we actually are. :)

- Ashval
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Re: GSP Stream Gets a Facelift!

Postby Phaetonix » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:48 pm

I am now listening to GSP on my phone, which means I can listen to GSP at work again!

This made my day <3
Phaetonix

Postby Shigy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 am

Phaetonix wrote:I am now listening to GSP on my phone, which means I can listen to GSP at work again!

This made my day <3

Always a plus :)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Ashval » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Phaetonix wrote:I am now listening to GSP on my phone, which means I can listen to GSP at work again!

This made my day <3

Just curious, what was preventing you from using your phone before? There are a lot of apps that will play AAC+ streams just fine. I also ask because after some sound tests, we're not sure we've actually improved the sound quality with this switch. We may end up going back to AAC+ (but with the higher bitrate, which will definitely provide a clearer sound than before).
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Phaetonix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

I was just using the browser based player :s I hadn't had much luck in the past running AAC+ streams on my phone so I kind of gave up. What player would you suggest if you go back to AAC+? (I ask this now realizing that I already use VLC on my phone and that probably works and I should have tried this before..)
Phaetonix

Postby Gridfan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 am

If you have VLC on your phone then AAC+ should indeed work. Unless I'm mistaken VLC uses the same decoder that GridStream Player happen to use.
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Return to News/Announcements