Halloween 2020 Brainstorming

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Halloween 2020 Brainstorming

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 am

It's time to get started thinking about Halloween already! Should have been last week probably, but the TSW Anniversary keeps throwing me off. Anyway, AO just got an ascended version of The Temple of Three Winds, so I wouldn't count on a big new Halloween dungeon too, but a few social items are likely. Neither AO nor TSW seem to have gotten much new social type loot for the anniversaries. Little bit at Christmas. AO Halloween could use a new mini-dungeon or quest. Something simple, like the crashed destroyer for Christmas, that's easy for any level to get to (unlike the Great Pumpkin and the Abandoned Facility). Anyone have a cool idea for something like that?

As for Secret World Legends, we still don't have the Spooky Stories of Solomon Island back, so maybe that will come to SWL. Or maybe there's something about those that they still can't work into SWL for some reason, so if you have any other ideas for something less tedious than the hourly pumpkin patch, go ahead and suggest it. Also, there will probably be new social stuff dropping for daily logins, so suggest what you want to see there. Judging by the last few, that will probably be mostly currency of various sorts, upgrade material, plus a sprint and a t-shirt and maybe a hat or something? New pet? General interest stuff. Could even be a new cache if there was a whole theme of weapon skins and clothes and stuff to fill it with.

As usual, I'll be gathering the suggestions in this thread, and after a couple weeks of collecting ideas, GSP Crew and Dancers will vote to pick our top 20 favorites and I'll write those up in more detail, with reference images where necessary, then send them all in for FC's idea pool. I'll also post them to the official AO and SWL forums, but I'm officially collecting the suggestions here in the GSP forums because it'll just be easier to compile the list if i don't have to worry about editing limits and post size and such. I'll try to keep up with collecting any posts from there, as well as FB and Twitter, to add to this list as we go.

Schedule:

Jul 17 - Jul 31: Two weeks of collecting suggestions at parties and here in this thread.

Aug 1 - Aug 8: One week for GSP DJs, Dancers, and Staff vote on their favorite ideas.

Aug 9 - Aug 16: One week for me to sort out and write up the favorite ideas with detailed descriptions and reference images.

Aug 17 - October: Hopefully, FC will be designing all the new goodies some time in August and building, implementing, and testing in September, in whatever spare time falls out while they're waiting for the new project to compile or whatever.

Oct 13ish: Events start. AO used to start late, just before Halloween, and run through most of November, but SWL starts early and runs through October, and for some reason they like to overlap them more than that. They can start AO's events without a patch, so they could patch any time in October and set a timer to start the event, but they go for the overlap anyway. They'll both start some time in October, probably the 2nd and 3rd weeks, but we won't know for sure until it happens.

Oct 31: Halloween

Now this is a brainstorming thread, so we want lots of ideas to choose from. GSP will be picking favorites for me to write up in detail, but I'll be sending in the whole list, even if some of them are just vague single phrases, because something that didn't strike a chord with us might turn out to give FC a good idea anyway.

Some guidelines for suggestions:

1) Be specific enough that everyone will have roughly the same idea what you mean.

2) Don't infringe on anyone else's Intellectual Property. Ideas inspired by some other game, movie, tv show, or whatever, are fine, as long as they're just oblique references. Using quotes, images, or names that belong to someone else isn't going to happen. The dance emotes in TSW are a good example. They're all recognizable, but not exactly identical to the famous choreography, and they're named something similar, not the actual song title. Except Gangnam Style. Maybe FC legal isn't worried about using that spelling when the game doesn't even know how to spell in Korean?

3) Keep it within the games' ratings, whatever they are in your region. You've all seen the bikinis, thongs, alien toys, and Dragon tantric footrubs, so you know there's still a lot of room to be sexy without getting too explicit.

4) Original new ideas are preferred, but if we still haven't gotten your favorite idea from some previous year, go ahead and suggest it again. Here are links to the previous lists if you want to look something up or just get some inspiration to get the creative juices flowing.

Halloween 2019 Brainstorming

Halloween 2018 Brainstorming

Halloween 2017 Brainstorming

Halloween 2016 Brainstorming

Halloween 2015 Brainstorming

Halloween 2014 Brainstorming

Halloween 2013 Brainstorming (thread MIA?)

Halloween 2012 Brainstorming (thread MIA?)

Halloween 2011 Brainstorming

Halloween 2010 Brainstorming
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Re: Halloween 2020 Brainstorming

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:20 am

1 (both) TAFKAP costume – purple assless chaps, wetlook thong, platform shoes and ruffle shirt open down to the belt

2 (both) A raspberry beret and matching "not much more" (SWL's better at hats, but even if there's clipping issues in AO, it's worth a try)

3 (both) pumpkin spice latte (should be available starting at the anniversary, then maybe back it up to Valentine's day, then Christmas...)

4 (both) spice pumpkins (that spice has to come from somewhere, right?)

5 (AO) closet skeleton nanospray

6 (both) X-ray swimsuit, a skimpy version of the skeleton costume

7 (both) blue moons bikini

8 (AO) QL1-200 pirate pistol, comparable to an decent froob pistol, but uses multi-melee so you can duel-wield it with a sword

9 (both) Dreamcatcher bikini. a couple circular frames, some strings, a feather or two

10 (AO) pumpkin chalice – like a small pumpkin held by the stem, with the bottom cut off so you can drink pumpkin wine out of it

11 (both) pumpkin, apple, and pumpkin with apple cookies

12 (both) bouquet of black roses with spiderwebs

13 (AO) remove gender restrictions from the holiday bikinis and boxers

14 (both) werewolf paw mittens, head mask

15 (AO) orange, pink, and green laser swords / lightsticks

16 (AO) Halloween colored versions of the Christmas holiday holograms

17 (AO) tombstone backpacks

18 (AO) spooky spider-y bookcase

19 (both) dusty demon chair vehicle

20 (AO) witchy cauldron

21 (both) haunted rags bikini

22 (both) spiderweb teddy

23 (AO) pie crust recipe to make pumpkinhead pies

24 (both) a bikini that matches the inside of the Mysterious Cloak, preferably animated, with a phantom grin that fades in and out, but I'd be happy to settle for a purple bikini. And boxers. No gender restrictions, please.

25 (AO) Neleb's Bikini - an eye over each breast, like the Secret World "Sight for Sore Eyes" top, but more black and purple nightmare styled. The description could have "Hey, my eyes are up... oh wait." The cleavage also gazes. Chest implant of perception not included.

26 (AO) Eldritch Minor Fright shoulder lantern like the Eye of Neleb backpack, hovering, with tentacles, or as a “hovering” pet, like the balloons

27 (AO) raven (black reet) pet

28 (AO) hunt escaped rollerpumpkins or something, maybe someone sabotaged the pet crystal factory and let them all loose

29 (AO) respirator face masks

30 (SW) pumpkin shaped boots

31 (AO) devileet in a cage

32 (AO) Hand-held TP rolls

33 (both) Eldritch Zoidberg mask

34 (AO) Cerubin mask

35 (both) Cowbell of Antidote
- 1HB weapon with a chance to proc a DoT removal on your team?

36 (AO) dress up the ICC statue
– skinless titan
- lion tamer
- mankini
- lion tamer in a mankini holding a giant cat toy
- Captain Anarchy holding a broken pumpkin
- mummy
- pimp suit and coat and feather hat
- ghost sheet
- white tux with angel wings and halo

37 (both) holdable hourglass item (Enhanced Notum Crystal / Elemental Focus weapon) that matches the Scythe of the Harvester

38 (both) leet mascot costume

39 (both) Whompah Technician and Spaceship Janitor uniforms from NotAtAllSuspicious Co.

40 (AO) Use the in-game billboards for spooky ads for other FC games

41 (AO) body pillows with a variety of different character pictures

42 (AO) surgical masks in different colors, like TSW has

43 (AO) prototype candy corn popper that randomly either throws white popcorn-looking sparks or spawns an orange, white, and yellow marshmallow

44 (AO) hovering shark shoulder lantern

45 (AO) pet hovershark

46 (AO) Ill-tempered laser bass decoration - deep voiced dancing mounted fish with laser eyes

47 (both) frozen trout cold-damage blunt melee weapon

48 (AO) even more fish-shaped ranged energy pistol, or just re-skin one that already looks kinda fishy

49 (both) serrated herring for cutting down large trees to make a nice path between the shrubberies

50 (AO) a wizard's tower some mad nanomage died in a hundred years ago (time travel, maybe?) and left behind monsters, traps, spiders, rotting tomes, spider webs, crazy experiments, spiders, and high tech gear designed to look wizardy, like that stave of inferno, and then the nanos that kept it undetected all these years finally expired

51 (both) Upside-down mask and/or backwards head

52 (both) an even bigger coffee mug, like the size of the New Year's Crunk Goblet, with "DON'T SLEEP" on the side, in big, jittery letters
Last edited by Jezebelle on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:25 am

[second reply reserved for tradition]
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Halloween 2020 Brainstorming - list sent

Postby Jezebelle » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:08 am

To Michizure and Whomsoever Else may be interested in ideas for Halloween goodies for Secret World Legends and/or Anarchy Online,

Here's GSP's annual brainstorming contribution of Halloween ideas. They were collected over the course of two weeks of GSP parties, plus whatever was set aside since last year. Not a peep from Facebook, Twitter, or Forums, but we got a pretty good list anyway. GSP DJs, Dancers, and staff helped put them in order so I could fill in extra details on our favorites, but the whole list is here.

1) [AO] remove gender restrictions from the holiday bikinis and boxers

This isn't anything new, just something that's always bugged us. It's only the holiday bikinis and boxers that are gender-locked, so we don't really see a reason for it. I mean, obviously there are those who would prefer that Atroxes didn't /want/ to rock a thong, but the consensus, at GSP at least, is that girls should be able to wear boxers and fair is fair. Besides, gender-locking is so 20th century.

2) [AO] dress up the ICC statue

I think this was originally a joke, but it turned out to be a popular one. There were several different ideas of what kind of Halloween costume would look good on that statue.

- skinless Titan (that's where it started, referring to Attack on Titan, obviously copyrighted, but it kept going...)
- lion tamer
- mankini
- lion tamer in a mankini holding a giant ball of yarn
- Captain Anarchy holding a broken pumpkin
- mummy
- pimp suit and coat and feather hat
- ghost sheet
- white tux with angel wings and halo

3) [AO] Use the in-game billboards for spooky ads for other FC games

Some of us remember the time when contextually disruptive ads played loudly, and very repetitively, on various in-game billboards. Games like Hide and Shriek or The Park or Secret World Legends, maybe even the Conan games, would all lend well to spooky ads that could be made thematically appropriate. Maybe Omni-Tek released a new VR adapter for historical 3rd millennium games from the dawn of computing. And that adapter will be available for Christmas, so pre-order your Halloween games now!

4) [both] bouquet of black roses covered with spiderwebs

Holdable, placeable, or both. Pretty self-explanatory. I'm undecided whether the roses should be withered, which is immediately creepier, or fresh, which would be really suspicious to have that much cobweb on it.

5) [both] leet mascot costume

Not a leet morph, but a big, bulky costume with a long tail and no arms, like a sports mascot. Could work like tank armor in AO, maybe? And if it has to have arms, maybe they just clip out from it and look like T-Rex arms? The tail wouldn't necessarily have to wag, but if it just swung back and forth while running, that would be good. Or it could just be a static "hologram" of a leet that anchors to your back and if your arms and legs clip out of it, that's probably still good enough to fool a reet.

It would probably be easier to do the body and head in SWL, but I suppose the lack of arms and inability to animate without clipping all over would be an issue.

6) [both] spiderweb teddy

We've been asking for this one, or something like it, almost every year for a while now. Teddy, minidress, and bikini have all been suggested, but the basic idea is a skimpy little number made of black or silver strategically interwoven threads, patterned like a spider web. And it has to be skimpy. Like the Korean MMO endgame version of an evil sorceress who feels that naked just isn't naughty enough. The kind of thing that would never stay within the games' ratings if it wasn't all glued in place.

I couldn’t find adequate reference images, so I drew some myself and posted them on the GridStream forums.

silver minidress - front view:
download/file.php?id=5181&mode=view

silver minidress - back view:
download/file.php?id=5182&mode=view

black teddy - front view:
download/file.php?id=6347&mode=view

black teddy - back view:
download/file.php?id=6346&mode=view

The bikini version would be just like the teddy, minus the middle. Not pictured: matching black pumps that come with a black widow ankle tattoo. Yeah, I know it's cliche, but it's Halloween.

7) [AO] orange, pink, and green laser swords / lightsticks

Like the Dusk/Dawn of the Xan swords or the Kyr'Ozch Energy Rapier, but in different colors. Or, if you don't feel like adding more actual weapons, just shrink them down and make them 1 damage light sticks. Still fine for dancing with. Or directing landing shuttles.

8) [AO] raven (black reet) pet

That one's pretty self-explanatory. Most of them would probably get named, "Quoth". They probably say, "Not again," when summoned, and "no more," when they depart.

9) [both] A raspberry beret and matching "not much more"

Secret World already has a beret, but only in black. The way the colors are named now, this one would be called "purple", but it could still lean a tint redder and we'd just know what it was. I'd really have a hard time choosing between my bunny ears and a raspberry beret.

Over in AO, we know hats aren't really something it's good at, but even if there are clipping issues, it's worth a try. Just please don't make it as big as a sombrero to get around the clipping and scaling.

As for the "not much more", the video from the song doesn't show it. We only have his sly smirk and sultry tone to judge by. And the insinuation of a blue sky and clouds tuxedo. There was a suggestion for a bikini that matches the Mysterious Cloak elsewhere on this list. That would work. Or Miiir straps. Or a low-cut backless negligee.

Or maybe a bodysuit that's a little bit of purple and a whole lot of sheer, something like
https://wickedweasel.com/en-us/product/ ... lour=41033

I'm sure you can imagine something Prince would sing about but just barely fits the ratings.

10) [AO] Hopefully Not the Bikini of Neleb

A red eye for each cup, like the Secret World "Sight for Sore Eyes" top, but more black and purple nightmare styled. The description could have "Hey, my eyes are up... oh wait." Or "The cleavage also gazes."
- Chest Implant of Perception not included.

11) [both] X-ray swimsuit

A skimpy version of the skeleton costume. One-piece would probably work better. A bikini would only have room for a couple inches of rib and a bit of pelvic bone.

12) [AO] pet hovershark

No lasers, just a shark that follows you around, hovering above the ground. Great for running screaming naked down the beach.

13) [AO] Eldritch Minor Fright shoulder lantern

It's just a little eldritch horror, just a minor fright, like the "Not Really The Eye of Neleb" backpack, with tentacles, hovering over your shoulder and helping you see in the dark.

Or it could be a "hovering" pet, like the balloons. It could even use Metaphysicist pet meshes and animations, with the front texture changed to Neleb's eye.

14) [both] Dreamcatcher bikini

The first image that came to mind was mostly just string with a couple circular frames and a feather or two. On the bottom, a matching beaded leather thong belt with a few feathers hanging from it and a tiny breechcloth.

But maybe that's a little too culturally insensitive. There was some backlash about cultural appropriation along those same lines not long ago. I'm not an expert on those cultures or where the politically correct line is. Crocheted string bikinis with a vaguely dreamcatcher-shaped pattern on the chest are still plentiful on Etsy, though. I suppose something vaguely reminiscent must be safer than stealing stylistic elements.

How about crocheted halter bikini top with diamond spiral cups, like a dreamcatcher, in earth tones, with an opaque sunburst in each center, and a tan thong with beads and tassels in matching colors on the side ties? No feathers. Feathers are no good for swimwear anyway. That ought to vaguely convey the style without actually mimicing any traditional dress that I know of.

I can't find any reference images of exactly what I'm describing, and I don't really have time to draw it and send this in in time, but hopefully one of your artist types has an idea what I mean or has their own suitable ideas.

15) [AO] respirator face masks

Cybergoth style, with glowing/blinking neon green, pink, and yellow lights. Perhaps it actually counts as a helmet, but the AC is terrible except for Disease and Chemical. Just Googling "cybergoth respirator" comes up with too many images to pick one.

16) [both] bikini that matches the inside of the Mysterious Cloak

There's a surprising lack of purple bikini in AO and SWL. AO has a purple thong, but it's a rare paid item from the shop and there's no matching top. TSW and SWL have the bikini top, but the matching "bikini shorts" are from Betty Page's era, and most of hers were way skimpier than that. Not that there's anything wrong with retro bikinis, but while the basic triangle tops are classic and timeless, the shorts with ruffles are cute, but old-fashioned.

Just giving AO a bikini the same style as the other holiday bikinis, in the same color as the Mysterious Cloak, would be great. Or make it a few pixels skimpier, for the raspberry beret's "not much more." I've been suggesting an animated version of this, with a phantom grin that fades in and out, for years, but a plain purple bikini would definitely be better than none. And boxers. No gender restrictions, please.

And SWL just needs bikini bottoms more like the ones in AO, but all the same colors as the bikini tops they already have.

17) [both] haunted rags bikini

Like a cross between the tentacle bikini and Uncle Pumpkinhead's rags. Ragged black cloth cups with a couple holes, held up by dark brown straps that go silver at the shoulders, so it looks like crossed scythes from certain angles. Tattered cheeky bottoms, since they'd need to have a little more fabric than the other Halloween thongs to be tattered, with tiny undead teddy bears hanging (by the neck) from side ties.

18) [AO] hovering shark shoulder lantern

Like the shoulder angel and devil lanterns, but it's a tiny shark.

19) [both] Whompah Technician and Spaceship Janitor uniforms from NotAtAllSuspicious, Co.

There was a whompah technician back in the old ICC Shuttleport, a.k.a. "Newbie Island," but he didn't have much of a uniform. Funny costumes should be more identifiable than that without having to read the label. I'm thinking this is more a reference to some unnamed series of old adventure games than anything canonical for AO or TSW, anyway. Some local equivalent of such a parody. Kind of like the Captain Anarchy uniform, but for someone who's totally not a hero, nor a villain, nor an anti-hero, not even a street urchin. A zero. Absolutely necessary for the world to work, but never even noticed by anyone in the story.

20) [both] Cowbell of Antidote

Hammer / 1HB weapon with a chance to proc a DoT removal on your team.

21) [both] frozen trout cold-damage blunt melee weapon

22) [AO] a wizard's tower
- Some ancient mad nanomage died in his hidden tower a hundred years ago (time travel is dangerous and lonely) and left behind monsters, traps, spiders, rotting tomes, spider webs, crazy experiments, spiders, and high tech gear designed to look wizardy, like that stave of inferno, and then the nanos that kept it undetected all these years finally expired. And the spiders have taken over since he's been gone.

23) [AO] Halloween colored versions of the Christmas holiday holograms

24) [both] Eldritch Zoidberg mask

25) [both] Upside-down mask and/or backwards head

26) [AO] pumpkin chalice
- like a small pumpkin held by the stem, with the bottom cut off so you can drink pumpkin wine out of it

27) [AO] QL1-200 pirate pistol
- comparable to an decent froob pistol, but uses multi-melee so you can duel-wield it with a sword
- (like the updated Solar-Powered Pistol did by accident after the aborted attempt to make it use ammo when Arete was introduced)

28) [both] blue moons bikini

29) [AO] witchy cauldron

30) [both] serrated herring for cutting down large trees to make a nice path between the shrubberies

31) [AO] hunt escaped rollerpumpkins or something, maybe someone sabotaged the pet crystal factory and let them all loose, just to have somewhere else to spread out the loot tables

32) [AO] prototype candy corn popper
- randomly either throws white popcorn-looking sparks or spawns an orange, white, and yellow marshmallow

33) [AO] masquerade ball / Venetian carnival / domino / lorgnette masks

34) [AO] Social recall beacon adjustable via screwdriver to teleport to the different social destinations city whompahs used to go to

35) [AO] placeable jack-o-lanterns (preferably with flames inside)

36) [AO] new candy item that randomly morphs you into one of the Halloween social pets

37) [both] crime scene tape / police evidence bikinis

38) [AO] devileet in a cage

39) [AO] tombstone backpacks

40) [both] werewolf paw mittens, head mask

41) [SW] a text adventure version of Conan Chop Chop for the text game terminals in Seoul

42) [both] crime scene tape / police evidence bikinis

43) [both] flamenco dresses

44) [AO] pie crust recipe to make pumpkinhead pies

45) [both] spice pumpkins
- (that spice has to come from somewhere, right?)

46) [AO] closet skeleton nanospray
- or placeable closet with skeleton in it

47) [AO] surgical masks in different colors, like TSW has

48) [both] TAFKAP costume
- purple assless chaps, wetlook thong, platform shoes and ruffle shirt open down to the belt

49) [both] pumpkin spice latte
- (should be available starting at the anniversary, then maybe back it up to Valentine's day, then Christmas...)

50) [both] dusty demon chair vehicle

51) [both] pumpkin, apple, and pumpkin with apple cookies

52) [both] holdable hourglass item that matches the Scythe of the Harvester
- usable, like a Time/Space Enhanced Notum Crystal or Elemental Focus weapon

53) [both] an even bigger coffee mug
- like the size of the New Year's Crunk Goblet, with "DON'T SLEEP" on the side, in big, jittery letters

54) [AO] spooky spider-y bookcase

55) [SW] pumpkin shaped boots

56) [AO] hand-held TP rolls

57) [AO] Cerubin mask

58) [AO] body pillows with a variety of different character pictures

59) [AO] Ill-tempered laser bass decoration
- deep voiced dancing mounted fish with laser eyes

60) [AO] even more fish-shaped ranged energy pistol
- or just re-skin one that already looks kinda fishy

Thanks again for reading and letting us participate in the making of festivities, and thanks for continuing to bring more festivites to our favorite worlds. I hope you found something useful, interesting, or at least amusing here and we're all looking forward to seeing whatever our old pumpkin friend brings!
Last edited by Jezebelle on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Dharzee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:03 am

Thank you Jezebelle for the work you do putting these together. Not to mention all the other stuff you do ;)

Not to nitpick.. but numbers 37 and 42 are the same in the list. I'm not positive that crime scene/evidence bikinis are the answer to life, the universe and everything but even if they're not, they would provide good eye candy while pondering any mysteries.
#BlameDharzee
"I'm in love with my lust, burning angel wings to dust" - Nightwish, Wish I Had An Angel
Dharzee
Training Wheels Officer

Postby Gimpeline » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Some sugestions for next year if this is closed
(AO)
Nanomage Liberation Front piano
Leetles poster
R.U.R. Leetbot
Bigmanforce statue
Gimpeline

Postby Jezebelle » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:53 am

Dharzee wrote:Not to nitpick.. but numbers 37 and 42 are the same in the list.

Ah. That's what it was. There was something nagging at me when I was finishing that up, but I didn't look closely enough at the tail end of the list. That wasn't actually on this year's list at all. Two different votes picked the same old idea off of previous lists and I didn't notice when I tacked them on at the end. Those two should have been added together, but still wouldn't have made the top of the list, so no harm done. Nothing was dropped off. That just would have been in the middle rather than at the end if I'd added them together. Oh well.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:08 am

Just happened to find a bikini top in the style I was trying to describe for the dreamcatcher. Not the color, but the shape. Wish this had been posted two weeks ago, but maybe I can find it here if it comes up again.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEMabsYnnP4
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Return to General/Discussion