Checking in...

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Checking in...

Postby Ashval » Fri May 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Hello all. I just thought I'd check in on everyone. :) I still read the forums religiously (though there are a lot fewer of them for me to keep up with these days), but I haven't really posted an update on my life for a while.

I'm still struggling with health issues, including migraines. They've become mostly manageable with medications, but I still don't have a day that is headache free. And, of course, I still have chronic arthritis and flare-ups related to my auto-immune disorder. That will never change. I've mostly learned to cope with the ups and downs of my pain though. I just need to listen to my body and pace myself...which isn't easy for a guy who loves gaming so much. :)

On a happier note, it's an exciting time for Kira and I as we're in the process of hunting for our first house. We have a showing this afternoon on one that we really like. The market is vicious right now, so wish us luck. Homes are getting scooped up so quickly in our area.

While I don't make it to many shows, I do still tune in and keep up with you all as I'm able. I just wanted to say that I'm proud of you guys and quietly cheering you on from my part of the world. :)

<3

- Ash/Trev
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Re: Checking in...

Postby Vallikat » Fri May 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Hey there!

I was really hoping for happier news from you health wise. Glad that you're learning to cope and that things are manageable, but I really wish it was better.

Good luck with buying a house. I hope your search does not drag out too long and that in the end you find a place that brings you both joy.

*hugs* for you and Kira and the kitties!
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Postby Kermie » Fri May 06, 2016 8:31 pm

good luck with the house hunt, its fun and painful all at the same time. Oh yeah, paint before you move in.
Kermie
GSP Crew

Postby Shigy » Sat May 07, 2016 4:50 am

Glad to hear from you mate :)

Hope the house hunt goes well for you and Kira.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Jezebelle » Tue May 10, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for keeping in touch! Migraines are evil, but coping is good. If curing isn't on the menu, coping will do, as long as coping doesn't take so much work to get to you can't keep an eye out for better restaurants. I think I should drop that metaphor now.

Good luck with the house! That's a big thing. Especially if it's gonna be big enough for the kitties. They're each gonna want their own queen size bed and laundry room full of warm towels, you know. That takes a big house. You might have to talk them into a compromise. Time sharing the towels, maybe.

Oh yeah, and Kermie has a good point about the paint.

*AoE huggles*
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Kermie » Tue May 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Jezebelle wrote:Oh yeah, and Kermie has a good point about the paint.

*AoE huggles*

yep, have to figure out how i am gonna move a 55 gallon aquarium so the tank niche can be painted.... ugh... at least i have a pretty new tank stand now.
Kermie
GSP Crew

Postby Lia » Fri May 20, 2016 2:17 am

*inappropriate hugs*
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Ashval » Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm well aware that there's no celebrating in home buying until the deal is closed, but we've entered into a contract on a home we really, really love. Inspections are on Wednesday and the financials still need to be sorted, but we're not anticipating issues on either front.

I'm not sure if I love this home *quite* as much as the first one I was so crushed about us just missing on, but it's close. Really close. And, we got a much better deal on this one. The situation was perfect with the seller being very motivated due to already buying a larger home over a month ago. We ended up reaching an agreement on this one for 15k less than original asking price with some extras thrown in like them waiving our closing costs, paying for our home warranty and including the lovely big screen TV that is mounted above the fireplace. ;) We also get all the appliances included, and they are all new and top of the line!

I think it was a sign when a deer walked right up to my wife and I as we were talking to our agent in the front yard after viewing the home. She looked at us and then proceeded to munch on some grass without a care in the world. This home is very close to a major thoroughfare (with everything we need on it!), yet I love that the spot still has that touch of nature to it.

It's a pretty exciting time for us right now. Closing isn't until the first week of July, so we have some time to start brainstorming on paint colors and the brand new wood flooring and carpet we'll be installing. :D

I know moving will be stressful, but I don't think I've ever looked forward to one like this. It'll be nice to finally have a place that is all our own...and put our rental days behind us.

I asked our three cats if they were as excited about moving as my wife and I. One demanded pets and the other two stared at me blankly.

Cats are hard to impress.
Ashval

Postby Dharzee » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 pm

Wow, sounds nice :)
#BlameDharzee
"I'm in love with my lust, burning angel wings to dust" - Nightwish, Wish I Had An Angel
Dharzee
Training Wheels Officer

Postby Jezebelle » Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am

Sounds great! And just wait 'til the cats meet the deer. They'll probably be more excited then. Deer are just like giant mice, you know. From far enough away and through a window. At least it might take their fluffy little minds off the travails of getting moved and having to stake out all new favorite napping spots.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Vallikat » Tue May 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly. Sounds pretty exciting though!
Vallikat

Postby Shigy » Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 am

Hope it all goes to plan for ya mate. :)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Gridfan » Wed May 25, 2016 2:46 pm

We want lawn pictures, man, wife, 3 cats just chilaxing in the summer. :P
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Vallikat » Wed May 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Gridfan wrote:We want lawn pictures, man, wife, 3 cats just chilaxing in the summer. :P

First I tried to picture Ash and Kira sitting in matching lounge chairs on their lawn on a nice sunny day. Then my brain rebelled at the idea and the best I could do was them sitting together on the screen porch (not that we know if the house has a screen porch, but that's where my mind went). Besides there almost has to be a porch (screen or not) so Ash can sit there saying "get off my lawn!" to any young whipper-snappers that happen by.
Vallikat

Postby Kermie » Wed May 25, 2016 5:24 pm

fingers crossed!
Kermie
GSP Crew

Postby Ashval » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Inspections went well. No major issues found. There are some minor cosmetic issues that we'll be negotiating with the current owners to see what we can get fixed before closing, but none of them are high priority. The house is in excellent shape overall, and it has been very well maintained.

I would not expect much in the way out outdoors pics of Nikki and I...and definitely not with the (indoor) cats. :p

We will, however, post plenty of pics once we've closed and gotten the new flooring/carpeting/painting done. :)
Ashval

Postby Vallikat » Thu May 26, 2016 2:46 pm

One step closer! How exciting for you! Makes me wish I could be going through this step again. 2 years in an apartment and I'm missing having my own space so bad!
Vallikat

Postby Lia » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 pm

So excited for you! <3
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Caliana » Mon May 30, 2016 4:17 am

Happy and excited to hear about the housing stuff! I hope that goes well for you guys, you really deserve it. Hope you also feel better on the health field though.
Caliana - 9 Swords, Rapier Division
Zellira - GSP Dancers, Leader
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Postby Caliana » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Ashval wrote:.. I still read the forums religiously (though there are a lot fewer of them for me to keep up with these days)
- Ash/Trev

I may also be partially responsible for not giving Ash enough to read >.> Between shenanigans with my ISP, and an evil friend giving me Civ 5 when he KNOWS I have an addictive personality, I've kinda not been spamming the forums like usual *cough*
I promise I'll get back to that... after just one more turn... >.>
Caliana - 9 Swords, Rapier Division
Zellira - GSP Dancers, Leader
Caliana
GSP Dancer

Next

Return to General/Discussion