Funcom announces new Conan-based open world survival game!

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Funcom announces new Conan-based open world survival game!

Postby Lia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 am

I can't believe I forgot to share this today!

Funcom announced this project to be available for early access in Summer of 2016!

Open World. Survival. Conan. Game.

Public and private servers. You'll be able to make friends and enemies online. And. FIGHT!

I don't know the depth of this game, but it has the potential to be pretty rad.

http://www.conanexiles.com/

Announcement video in the link is definitely worth seeing!
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Re: Funcom announces new Conan-based open world survival game!

Postby Twisty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:19 pm

I hope this will be good. I'm kind of interested in survival games, but nothing has yet come out that would held that interest for long.
TSW: Twist-Twist, Saunabath, Promius AO: Tvisty, Saunabath
Twisty
GSP Dancer

Postby Gridfan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:26 am

Kinda amusing, somebody (youtube comment obviously) complain that this sucked and they'd rather want to make their own character in the Conan world etc.
And I'm yelling at the screen (not really) "Like dude, that's exactly what this is! U got Brain, use it l8m0." (not really, I don't leet speak or lame speak).

I'm assuming Conan will be a possible quest NPC or similar but if Funcom are smart they make this otherwise a AO'ish MMO where you create a character, start at 0, a newcomer in this new area (unless they let you choose origins/backstories) and you have to survive in a badass Conan world that wants to chew you up and spit you out.
If they go for a somewhat more mature audience (not sure if they can meet a Teen rating or not though) they could capture the adult fantasy fans (you know Game of Thrones etc), a dark but campy fantasy setting could work well.

AoC never tickled my fancy, the fortress/siege thing for me was kinda "meh" I'm mostly a solo only player that only prefer to socially interact with others not necessarily team up with them or fight in guilds against other guilds, and this seems more solo angled.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it, that was just a tiny teaser after all.
I do hope it does well though as that would have a indirect good effect on AO as well (budget/manpower).
I'm just glad they aren't making another LEGO game, I never felt Funcom was a kids company they felt like a better with with the likes of CD Projekt RED (The Witcher), BioWare, Obsidian and other more darker/serious themed game devs.

Though maybe I've just romanticized the old Ragnar Tørnquist "Funcom" that made The Longest Journey and Anarchy Online?
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Lia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:51 am

I agree this is a TINY teaser with so little information that is extremely vague about the intentions here. But, that's what announcement teasers are!

So, I'm taking this project to be a healthy indication that they know they have to WORK for the $$$... and their changes to how they are approaching things subscription wise in TSW reinforce this. That's a good thing.

And, yes, I definitely agree with you on the LEGO thing. The marketing angle of that was poorly conceived from the ground up, but I'm sure they had a logic in place for why they made the choices they did. As a consumer, we're free to judge it from the outside based on the data we have.

I do also agree with you that FC is better fit with the more substantial developers when it comes to their games.

Let's hope we get more information on this soon! :)
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby audrima » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:05 pm

So when are they making there "Rubi-Ka total war" game? I will also take Rubi-Ka survival game too ;)

as for lego, like tsw, aoc, and AO fc never really had a good marketing team it's there weakest point I think. and who ever thought a lego game should be a run around kill things with little to no building (and what there is has no thought to it no imagination!) should be fired.... in to the sea.

Conan survival games sound like a perfect fit, I hope they are throwing lot of money to market it every were to make it sell good!

I will be watching it... I mean come on, The Park (a tsw single player) now Conan exiles (single player aoc?) what's next? a single player AO game!!! then a mmo of the longest journey! =^_^=

AUD
audrima
Forum Preacher

Postby Lia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Conan Exiles is not a single player game. It will have a multiplayer aspect to it. To what extent? That remains to be seen. :)

All the same, I do think it is a better fit.

I hope they get a strong force to help with the Marketing and PR side of things.

FYI: FC is hiring a new CM to move to Oslo to help out with that.
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Gridfan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 am

Lia wrote:Conan Exiles is not a single player game. It will have a multiplayer aspect to it. To what extent?

My guess it's the same/similar to other survival games, so PvP most likely. But it does not seem/feel like there will be any grouping to do raids (as is common in most MMOs).
And it will probably not be quest heavy (like a MMO).

That will mean the survival bit will be very important. Will you be able to build a house, and group together with other players to build a village?
Considering the build-o-mania that happen with Fallout 4's settlement building it's clear that this stuff is popular, by the looks of it people are spending as much time (if not more) on settlement building than doing quests in Fallout 4.

But a "empty" survival world would also suck so Funcom does need something else. Will it be like EVE ? Where players build houses (ships) group together to make villages (stations) where they sells/craft/buy items and stuff (!) and a village chief is chosen (CEO?) and then villages (guilds?) can fight each other?

And then there is Conan, will he be a sort of NPC that gives certain tasks (leaning the game towards MMO quests) or will Conan just be a event NPC (controlled by a GM?)

What would be awesome is if a player needed to survive, find a place to build a home (maybe next to others) soon you got a village. Then you get a leader and suddenly some day you get called by Conan to help defend the land and all the villages band together to fight a enemy horde (all NPCs). Weak Villages may get damaged and need repairs etc. Getting killed might cause you to loose gear or get reduced stats.

Hmm. I wonder what parts of my predictions will be true...
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Postby Vallikat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:26 pm

I will check this out as it is a Funcom game. I'm curious to see what they do with it.
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Return to General/Discussion