Germans please tell me about Mullermilch!

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Germans please tell me about Mullermilch!

Postby Vallikat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:28 am

I follow this one vlog and the woman in it is German. Today she showed a product called Mullermilch. She says she doesn't like it, but she was tempted to buy it anyway for the new Christmas labels as can be seen in this article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mulle ... ms-n462911

I understand what they are saying about it objectifying women and maybe not so appropriate for a product that is meant for kids. Still, it kind of makes me want to drink Mullermilch now. Labels like that would probably never even make it to the shelves in America and if it did the controversy would be much bigger (since the vlogger is still finding this in her local Aldi, it must not have gotten much traction in Germany).

I would be interested in knowing more from Germans (primarily, but anyone of course). Is it any good and do the labels make you want to drink it? Personally I'd be tempted to collect all the bottles just for the hell of it. :)
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Re: Germans please tell me about Mullermilch!

Postby Jezebelle » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:06 am

I'm sure this comes as a surprise to exactly no one, but I agree, Valli. If those were available here, I'd probably collect them for the art. I love 50's style pinup art. Yeah, if they were putting those in schools and advertising them with Saturday morning cartoons, I could see a bit of a concern, but flavored milk isn't just for kids. My dad likes chocolate milk. He'd probably buy those. He might not drink the banana one, but whatever. I guess it's nice to know that Americans aren't the only ones getting their knickers in a twist for no reason, but it would be nicer if we could just not sweat the small stuff and save the worry for real problems.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Express » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:52 am

As someone of German origins whom has the last real name of Muller, I approve of these bottles. :nod:
Express

Postby DaddyLes » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Would buy, for sure. Reminds me of advertising a few decades ago, before everyone started whining.
The dark's patience is infinite.
Eventually, even stars burn out.
DaddyLes
Best Speakiest Personage

Postby Lia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:23 pm

I love the art style, myself. I don't know much about their history with advertisement, but this is probably an intentional choice for them... and because of that, I don't feel like the reaction to them is in line with the context. I don't think there is any doubt that the particular style generally tends to objectify women - nodding to the pin-up gals... but this is pretty harmless as compared to other examples of advertisement gone awry, such as the Bloomingdale's ad space that encouraged you to roofie your friends at parties. The comparison is not exactly analogous, but that's rather the point. One is a reference to a bygone era of advertisement norms, the other actually encourages you to cause potential harm to others + break the law. vOv
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Kriegshammer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 am

From their advertisement I wouldn't say it's meant for kids. The ads mostly seem to aim at adult males, in my opinion. And that's not only the new sexy bottles ;)
Kriegshammer
I Am Legend

Return to General/Discussion