If I end up in a car accident...

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

If I end up in a car accident...

Postby Vallikat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:42 pm

A little story I wanted to share. This may concern you about the state of my mental health or it might be some giggles for a Friday. :)

A couple weeks ago I'm sitting in my chair in my apartment playing a game on my phone when a bug buzzes past my ear. I brush it off and go back to my game but a couple seconds later it actually starts dive bombing my head and ends up tangled in my hair.

I went into complete girl mode, flailing about trying to get this thing off. It ends up being flung to the back of the chair and falls to the seat, clearly on its last legs. It turns out its a fairly substantial looking beetle. I'd say it was at least an inch long with appendages (horns? pincers?) on its head. I was really skeeved out.

I have this thing where if a bug looks like it will be crunchy (and there was no mistaking that in this case) I can't kill it. The idea of that bug crunch just...no...no...I can't deal. So instead I scooped it up on a piece of paper and put it out in the hall. Next morning it was gone and I thought no more about it.

A few days ago my son and I were out in the evening and when we came home he noticed a beetle, similar to what I described, sitting on the 4th step from the top, against the wall. He figured it was dead so we just moved past it. Yesterday morning I saw it on the top step. I was a little freaked out but being unable to kill it, I walked past again. Last night it was gone and again I thought no more about it.

Today I arrived to work and I went to grab my bag out of the passanger side seat and there on the back of the seat was that beetle.

At this point I was really freaked out. I mean this was like something straight out of a horror movie. I felt like I was being stalked!

I still can't kill it but I know I can't deal with it in my car so I came in to the office to seek out a man or at least a braver person than I. People were just arriving so it took me a few to find someone I felt comfortable asking (I didn't want to ask one of the suit types). One of the maintenance guys walked by though and I got him to come out to my car with me.

It wasn't there!!

No beetle. He searched under the seats and all. No beetle.

The first thing I did when I returned to my desk was go through my bag to see if it had gotten in there, but no beetle there either. I should be relieved, but I know that I saw it in my car. I have visions of driving along later and feeling it crawling up my leg.

So if you guys hear that I was in a car accident later, you'll know why.
Vallikat
Station Manager & Events Lead

Re: If I end up in a car accident...

Postby Shigy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:50 pm

:lol: I think Ringo Starr is stalking you :P
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Vallikat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Shigy wrote::lol: I think Ringo Starr is stalking you :P

Well that would explain the appendages. They were actually tiny drumsticks. :)
Vallikat

Postby Vallikat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

After doing some research I think I have identified it as a stag beetle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

The picture on the main page is exactly what I saw.
Vallikat

Postby Lykeios » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Vallikat wrote:After doing some research I think I have identified it as a stag beetle:

Maybe it was just out for a party before getting married...
Lykeios
RL = Off

Postby Vallikat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:37 am

Lykeios wrote:
Vallikat wrote:After doing some research I think I have identified it as a stag beetle:

Maybe it was just out for a party before getting married...

One last tasty muffin before the big plunge?
Vallikat

Postby Shigy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:44 am

Nothing like a tasty warm muffin ;)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:41 am

eek

Aside from being a big nasty creepy thing, that's a common low level mob in way too many games. They're a little bigger than that in games, but still, I'd want something better than newbie armor and a dull stick to face one of those. The stalking part is just extra creepy. Maybe it escaped from one of those Korean MMOs where you can tame a monster by giving it a good swat but sparing its life? You might have gained a pet stag beetle with a random stealth skill. I bet you can sell that for, like, 100 rupees.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Return to General/Discussion