Playlist Suggestions / Requests

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Playlist Suggestions / Requests

Postby Jezebelle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:49 am

Got a request for something you want to hear /between/ shows? Like something to hunt and fight to rather than dance? Something the automatic playlist just needs more of in general, even if there's no live DJ there to put up your particular song just then? Let's try keeping a general purpose Playlist request list.

I have one to start it off with. Uncle Pumpkinhead has arrived again, and I'd like to dedicate Metallica's "All Nightmare Long" to him, in the playlist, so it might come up when I'm out farming pumpkins rather than when I'm dancing at a show.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Re: Playlist Suggestions / Requests

Postby Ashval » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:56 am

99 percent sure that's in Kermie's since I added a lot of that music to his list.
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Jezebelle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh, cool. Guess I just haven't happened to catch it. That would be the problem with playlist requests, I suppose. Anyway, how about some from old horror movies, like Dokken's "Dream Warriors"? And any version of "This is Halloween"? And I think there was a song Chaimera used to play about Pumpkinhead. Was it Boondox' "Punkinhead"?

I guess we'll have to wait a few more hours to see what The Secret World is bringing us to dedicate monster slaying songs to. The "Crossing the Black Path" mystery will probably be there, but I can't think of anything to dedicate to Kitties of Ulthar.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Ashval » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm

I have no idea how big Kermie and Shigy's playlists are these days, but I know when mine is being used...it'll play over a month without repeating a song. It's probably hard to catch a specific song as large as they are. :)
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Shigy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Ashval wrote:I have no idea how big Kermie and Shigy's playlists are these days, but I know when mine is being used...it'll play over a month without repeating a song. It's probably hard to catch a specific song as large as they are. :)

Mine is roughly a week (deliberately offset so it doesn't repeat at same time on the same day each week) and reshuffled regularly (every time a new event promo comes out as well other times). It draws from a pool of music larger than it is so sometimes songs fall off the list for a while.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Kermie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:29 pm

with promos? that's a good questions have a little over 2000 entries in my current playlist. left a lot of the music in it that i was given when i started, though i have removed some of the scream metal and david hasselhoff. They both offend my ears. Though lately shiggies list has been winning the war, when it comes to how much it is played
Kermie
GSP Crew

Postby Jezebelle » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:11 am

Huh. I thought I replied to this last year. I must have gone to check something and forgot to come back and hit submit. And nobody's commented further since then.

I think what I wanted to ask back then was whether there was a way, with whatever software you're using, to weight certain songs more, so they will come up more than once in that full month of playlist, without duplicating the song and risking them coming up twice in a row. I was listening for "All Nightmare Long" when I was hunting Uncle, but between the size of the playlists and not having as much hunting time that month as I wanted, I never caught it. Not a big deal. I'm sure it was played at a couple shows. Just wondering if there's an easy way to make "requests" come up more like once a week or something. Not that we actually have many. Not worth a lot of effort for just the one, but I did come up with a second one tonight.

Joanie played a cover of "Black Hole Sun" by Nouela that was really spooky. That needs to be in the playlist around October and November. I'll try to remember to remind the playlist maintainers then, but at least I've got it noted down for now.

On a related note, I don't think I've heard any comedy routines on playlists lately. Those have kind of the opposite problem. There used to be comedy in some of the old playlists, years ago, and after a few plays, although they were still funny, I already knew them by heart and wanted new ones. Comedy seems to need fewer repetitions to hit that point than songs, for me anyway. If there was a weighting option, maybe an assortment of comedy could be thrown in with a lower weight, so they'd repeat less than other songs.

Or just swap in a different comedy folder in a couple months. That would probably work just as well.

- Jeze
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Shigy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:01 am

The software I use. Just pulls from a series of playlists and then makes sure there isn't too many of an artist in a 3 hour period. Also it only builds 24 hours at a time. So the only way to make certain songs come up more often would be to have a separate list of them and they could come up quite often if that was done (I'm talking every few hours).
Shigy
Station Owner

Postby Jezebelle » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 am

I see. Yeah, that would be a bit too much. It would be nice if people wrote more software the way I thought it should work.
Jezebelle
GSP Dancer

Postby Gridfan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:07 pm

(eyes look out of from the darkness as typing noises can be heard)
Gridfan
Gridstream Developer

Re:

Postby Shigy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:17 am

Gridfan wrote:(eyes look out of from the darkness as typing noises can be heard)

*runs for the hills before the giant block of text crushes him*
Shigy
Station Owner

Return to General/Discussion