Make Love the Skydancer Way: A Guide to RP

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Station Managers

Make Love the Skydancer Way: A Guide to RP

Postby Antu » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:51 am

I've been teasing Trevalin for a while, telling him I'd post a guide to getting into roleplay in TSW. Now that he's sufficiently teased, here it comes.

DISCLAIMER I: I make no certifications of being an RP deity. I'm just someone who has two fairly successful RP characters and am providing a path to getting into the game. In fact, here's a guide from TSW-RP.

DISCLAIMER II: If you do everything I recommend here, you may find it to be too much. Part of that has to do with me being reasonably manic and another part has to do with this being stuff I've done at various times but not necessarily all at the same time. If something appeals to you, go for it.

Having said that, consider these first two rules mandatory.

Antu's First Rule of Roleplaying - There is never a situation in which it is inappropriate to contact the other player out of character to seek clarification. If you find yourself sitting there wondering how you should take something that was just said, ASK. Seriously, it will save you so much grief. If you think the other person might be angry at you in real life, ASK.

Antu's Second Rule of Roleplaying - Don't cross the streams! Keep in-character information and emotions in-character and leave out-of-character information and emotions out. This doesn't mean that you have to play with someone you don't like, but it does mean your character should never hold something OOC against another character IC. Addendum: Except Brilliantjerk. Seriously, just add him to /ignore now.

~~~~~~~~~~~

GETTING STARTED

1. Don't play a non-standard character for your first character. I have three roleplay characters currently. The first is an IC Templar; the second is a goddess; and the third is an IC Illuminati. Which of these stands out? Here are some other non-standard characters I've encountered:
  • Vampires (note: everyone hates vampires)
  • Shapeshifters
  • A half-angel
  • A Stygian witch
  • A chosen one
  • A Nyxie
  • Theodore Wicker's sister
  • A half-demoness
  • At least three chicks with dicks (no, really; I think they were sent to mess with ERPers)
  • Normal humans
  • So many were-bitches
Okay, so that last one isn't really a category, just a fact. The point is non-standard characters are okay and can be accepted, but it's a harder road. People are hesitant to go outside the game lore, so figure out how your character fits into the game lore. The reason everyone hates the vampires is they have no vampire weaknesses. For your first character, while you're still getting used to this, go with a character that matches somewhat the standard Templar/Lumi/Dragon template.

(*ERP = Erotic Roleplay, aka t3h cyb0rzz)

2. Consider Twitter. Let's pretend you didn't all hiss at the screen just now. Twitter is a really good way to connect with other roleplayers as well as to get into the mind of your character. Now the Secret World isn't exactly secret on Twitter, so that takes some getting used to, but it can still be a surprisingly fun outlet. Twitter is generally more fun if you have friends there of some sort, so feel free to add @AntuSkydancer @AlexRekvijem and @GoldRapier if you do decide to give it a try.

3. Journal. I'm big into journals, although I fall behind every now and then. Or now. Journals are another way to get into your character's head so you know how your character would think.

4. Get the TSWRP mod and put information other players should know in there. This includes OOC information (e.g. Alex's info says "The character is sexual, but I do not ERP") as well as IC information about your looks and effects (e.g. Antu's powers).

5. Place limits on your character. So remember how I play a goddess? Guess what? She's got limits. She can be killed, her magic is not unstoppable ( except to normals), and there's nothing that requires other players to acknowledge her powers (see Antu's First Rule of Roleplay). A character without limits is called godmoding.

6. Don't control other characters. This is called godmodding (the extra d is for dicketry). Notice the difference: "Alex stabs Trevalin." "Alex attempts to stab Trevalin." In the first case, I've assumed the attack will land. In the second, I'm giving him the option to evade or accept it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Supplemental Rules

1. It is okay to play a straight female or a male.
2. It is okay to play a character not interested in sex.
3. Ealdwic is like your high school: everyone gossips and judges. Just accept it and you'll be happier.
4. It is okay to say no. Don't let other people make decisions for your character.
Last edited by Antu on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravafea Antu Skydancer - Twitter | WordPress | Tumblr
Alexandra "Rekvijem" Rest - Twitter | Journal (OOC Info)
Antu
Forum Preacher

Re: Make Love the Skydancer Way: A Guide to RP

Postby Ashval » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:27 am

This is fantastic stuff. I shall sticky this. Thanks Antu! :)

(Now, go get caught up on Alex's character journals! ;) )
I may be retired, but I'm GridStream for life.
Ashval
Former Station Owner & Deacon of Doom

Postby Trevalin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

One thing I'd like to add to this that I've found really helpful...you don't have to do all of your roleplay in-game. For me, my time is really limited when it comes to being able to play TSW. Often, I enjoy spending that time doing precisely that...playing.

When I do get a chance to hit Ealdwic and get involved in a scene or happen to have a chance encounter at a GSP show that turns into a date (hi Iolanthe!), I've found it very helpful to take the details of that encounter out-of-game and into private messages. That way, I can devote more time to the scene at a time that works better for me (like when I should be working...hehe).

As an example, Alexandra and Trev agreed to meet for lunch at the Horned God through Twitter. They had a pleasant and innuendo filled discussion that both of us agreed would continue into a bit more later. Through a series of PM interactions, we both went over some details of that encounter that will (EVENTUALLY) be included in one of Alex's journal entries (and likely Trev's once I start one).

So, while spontaneous in-game roleplay is awesome...there's something to be said for more detailed scenes being handled in summary form off camera. These scenes still help you become much more comfortable with how your character would think and act in certain situations. For someone still shaking the rust off my roleplay skills, I found those initial interactions with Alex to be extremely helpful. It was just a bonus that she's haWtz0rs. ;)
DJ Lia's eye candy.
Trevalin
Post Farmer

Postby Gimpeline » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 pm

One thing that is a big no-no in RP is saying "BRB" or "AFK" and then just leave your character where it is. Be right back, what do you mean? You are just standing there.
Its better to say f.eks if you are a female: I have to powder my nose or something like that and go to the side, or an other thing you can you is "*jumps with legs crossed* I really have to go" and run off somewhere. Be creative. Its many ways to say be right back.
Gimpeline

Postby Lia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm

There is certainly a lot of options with that.

One thing I've seen a lot of people do in TSW is claiming they need to take a call and they go stand in the corner with the phone emote or just log out.

Sometimes, however, you don't have time to properly say why you ninja AFK or BRB. That's fully understandable. Also, a lot of people do say ((AFK or BRB)) just like that and that's fully allowable.
Community Liaison & Music Enthusiast
IG: Iolanthe - Lia Lester
'La Belle Dame Sans Merci'
Lia
Unstoppable!

Postby Gimpeline » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:11 pm

If you have to go and don't have the time, just say nothing. When you get back, just say something like "I just spaced out for a moment". No need for OOC
I have to admit that hardcore rp was my job in Society of salvation back in the days as general of SOS's department People and Relations, or RP in short, so I am always finding ways to avoid ooc :D
Gimpeline

Return to General/Discussion